A study published in Nutrition Metabolism showed that women who increased their protein intake from 10-15% to 30% of their diet …
Ate nearly 450 fewer calories a day (without even trying)
Lost about 11 pounds over the 12-week study with no other dietary changes.
Another study found that a diet of about 25% protein
– reduced blood pressure
– reduced LDL cholesterol levels, and
– reduced triglycerides better than a traditional higher-carb diet.
Yet about a third of women don’t get their recommended daily amount of protein, (according to USDA data).
– A high protein diet can help you lose weight by making you feel fuller for longer
– 1 gram of protein requires 5 to 6 times the calories for processing versus a gram of carbs
– Protein helps prevent prevent muscle loss typically associated with aging
You should be getting 0.7-1 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, or 105-150 grams if you weigh 150lb.